I got the look of the dish pretty well, but I did add onion to the bruschetta, mostly because I am an onion lover, and I think it tastes fantastic with tomatoes and garlic! Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Bruschetta di Pomodoro(printable recipe at end of page)
1 Italian Cipollini Onion
5 Roma Tomatoes
3 pieces Sundried Tomatoes
6 Basil Leaves+3 Basil Leaves
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
1 large Garlic Clove, chopped
1 large Garlic Clove, not chopped
Salt and Pepper
8 ounces Balsamic Vinegar
2-3 tablespoons Sugar
4+ slices of Focaccia Bread
1 large Garlic Clove, not chopped
8 ounces Fresh Mozzarella
Chop onion into small pieces. I used a cipollini onion, which has a translucent white flesh and has a semi sweet flavor when used raw. If you can not find a cipollini onion, a regular white onion will work also.
Cut your tomatoes in half. Remove all the seeds. Slice the tomatoes into thin pieces, as shown in the middle picture. Chop the tomatoes in to small pieces as shown.
Remove 6 pieces of basil from their stems. Stack the leaves on top of one another. Roll up so the basil looks like a cigar. Chop the basil into small pieces, as you move down the basil.
Chop the 3 Basil leaves the same way, but keep them separate from the 6 leaves of basil.
Place onions, both tomatoes, and the chopped 6 leaves of basil into a bowl. Add the extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper, and the chopped garlic clove. Place plastic wrap on the surface of the mix. Set aside for 1-2 hours.
Place balsamic vinegar in frying pan. Bring vinegar to a boil. Turn heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Place the bread slices on a baking sheet. Toast in oven under broiler for 1-2 minutes, then turn slices of bread over and toast for 1-2 minutes on the other side. Remove from oven and use the large garlic to rub it all over one side of each bread slice.
Place toast on a serving plate. Drain any excess oil from the bruschetta. Sometimes there isn't any. Add a spoon of bruschetta to the end of each toast slice.
Add a little more basil to the plate, and top the bruschetta with a slice of mozzarella. Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the bread and bruschetta. Enjoy!
Thank you for stopping by today! I am so glad you did!
Thank you also to Rini from Healing Tomato for hosting today's fun and tasty event!
Continue to scroll down to find tasty tomato recipes from the #SundaySupper family.
Sunday Supper Recipes Using Fresh Tomatoes
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Pesto Pizza by The Chef Next Door
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tomato and Caramelized Onions Galette by Brunch-n-Bites
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Thumbprint Cookies with Green Tomato Strawberry Jalapeno Jam by Soulfully Made
- How to Make Homemade Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Apple-Walnut Salad Filling by Asian In America
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fresh Tomato and Couscous Salad by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Layered Tomato Salad with Shiraz Dressing by Delaware Girl Eats
- Panzanella – Bread and Tomato Salad by The Hungry Goddess
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monica’s Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten