Back to School Cookies
5 cups Flour
3 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 cups Butter
2 cups Sugar
2 teaspoon Almond Extract
6 ounces Warm Water
5 tablespoon Meringue Powder
1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
2.25 pounds Confectioner's Sugar
I have used this cookie recipe for many years. I love it, and you will too. You can find the original recipe at Kitchen Gifts.com I have changed the amount of flour from the original recipe of 6 cups of flour to 5 cups. It works better for me. Mix the flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and extract, and mix well. Add your dry ingredients, a little at a time, to the butter mixture. Mix until flour is incorporated and the dough comes together.
Cover the dough with the other half of the parchment paper. Roll the dough out by rolling over the parchment paper. I roll mine to 1/4" thickness. Do this on more pieces of parchment until all the dough is rolled out. Place all the parchment covered dough pieces on a cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dough is chilled.
To cut out your cookies, take the dough out one sheet at a time. Cut out your cookies, place them on a baking sheet, and bake for 8-9 minutes. Let cool. Re roll the dough and place in the fridge to chill again.
Make your icing by pouring the warm water into a large bowl. Add the meringue powder. Whisk the two together until it is frothy and thickened,about 30 seconds. Add the cream of tartar and whisk 30 seconds more. Pour all the confectioner's sugar in to the bowl. Mix on low speed for 10 minutes. The icing should be thick and creamy. This icing dries very quickly, so keep it covered as much as you can. Tint the icing as you would like. As I tint the icing, I put each color in a small tupperware container to keep it fresh.
Decorate as you like!
Thanks for stopping by today!
Here are many more wonderful recipes from the #SundaySupper family that you will want to check out!
Getting Started On School Days
- Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins by Caroline's Cooking
- Caramel Apple Granola by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars by Ruffles & Truffles
- Cinnamon Chocolate Overnight Oats by Whole Food | Real Families
- Funfetti French Toast by Brunch with Joy
- PB&J Muffins by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich by Cooking Chat
- Healthy Lunchbox Snack Mix by Noshing with the Nolands
- Mini Pepperoni Calzones by The Redhead Baker
- Turkey Bacon Ranch Wrap by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Back to School Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Fruit 'n Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- Quinoa, Oat and Pecan Blueberry-Peach Crumb Bars by Simply Healthy Family
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits by An Appealing Plan
- Mother’s Ruin Punch by Food Lust People Love
- "Nut Butter" Rice Crispy Balls by Books n' Cooks
- Parmesan Crisps Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Monkey Bread by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Apple Nachos by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Waffle Pizzas by Our Good Life
- Beef Peppers and Onions Burritos by Family Foodie
- One Pot Bacon-Cheeseburger Pasta by A Gouda Life
- Oven Fried Portabello Mushroom Fries by Food Done Light
- Peanut Chicken Cutlets by Magnolia Days
- Smoked Salmon Ravioli with Cream Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Turmeric Chicken and Couscous by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Gluten-Free Almond Joy Cupcakes by NinjaBaker
- M&M Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Oreo Rice Krispy Treats by The Crumby Cupcake
- Paleo Cherry Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Plum Crumble Bars by Feeding Big
- Stuffed Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats by That Skinny Chick Can Bake