makes 4-8 ounce servings
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Milk
1- 14 ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
3 Egg Yolks
1 tablespoon Vanilla
1 tablespoon Cornstarch
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
Pour the sugar into a heavy pot. Turn the burner on to medium high temperature. Begin stirring the sugar. After about 5-6 minutes, depending on the stove, the sugar will begin to melt and as it is melting it will begin to become caramelized. Keep stirring the entire time. As soon as it becomes caramel color, take it off of the heat. The caramel can become burnt within a minute or two, and if it does the caramel is ruined. Even as you are taking it off the heat, continue to stir. Constant motion is the key to not burning.
Immediately pour the caramel in to bowls, distributing it evenly among them. Let bowls set up while making flan mixture.
Mix together the milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, yolks, vanilla, cornstarch, and heavy whipping cream. Use a food processor, blender, or even a mixer. Make sure all the ingredients are well blended.
Place all the servings of flan in a baking dish with high sides.
Pour water in to the baking dish, about half way up. This bain marie, aka water bath, will insulate the flan from direct heat, which can curdle dishes such as custards, puddings and cheesecakes, etc. It also allows the moisture necessary for this type of dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Check to see if it is done with a toothpick.
Remove from oven, cool on wire rack. Once cooled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for approx. 4 hours.
Remove from refrigerator, and take a toothpick around the edges. Turn flan over onto a plate. The flan will release from the dish and sit on the plate. If the pan does not release, tap the bottom of the dish, and give it a minute. Sometimes it takes time to release. Allow caramel to drip from dish on to flan. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream if you would like.
Enjoy! Thanks so much for joining me today!
Thank you to Wendy Hammond who blogs at Wholistic Woman for hosting today! Scroll down and see all the fantastic, tasty egg recipes made by my fellow Sunday Supper members! I know you will find something special!
Appetizers and Sides
- Classic Deviled Eggs from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Classic Deviled Eggs(-alad Sandwiches) from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Easter Deviled Egg Chicks from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Guacamole Deviled Eggs from Momma’s Meals
- Ham and Swiss Deviled Eggs from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Hrudka – Ukrainian Egg Cheese for Easter from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Jalapeño Popper Deviled Eggs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Smoky Deviled Bacon And Eggs from Taste And See
- Spicy Sriracha Deviled Eggs from An Appealing Plan
- Achiote Pulled Pork and Black Bean Huevos Rancheros from Cooking on The Ranch
- Asparagus Sausage Skillet with Egg from Wholistic Woman
- Avocado Egg Chilaquiles from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Baked Eggs in Cream from Tramplingrose
- Baked Scotch Eggs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chorizo, Dubliner, and Vegetable Quiche from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich from My Imperfect Kitchen
- Classic Shirred Eggs with Gruyere and Ham from The Weekend Gourmet
- Egg Biryani from Food Lust People Love
- Fri-Tot-Ta from Feeding Big
- Hashbrown Egg Nests from The TipToe Fairy
- Italian Style Stuffed Bread from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Jalapeño Popper Quiche from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Japanese Egg Crepes (Kinshi Tamago) from NinjaBaker.com
- Low Carb Breakfast Pizza from My Life Cookbook
- Make Ahead & Freeze Omelette Cups from Hardly A Goddess
- Mediterranean Frittata from A Mind “Full” Mom
- Mini Frittata with Asparagus and Six Italian Cheeses from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Papas con Huevos (Potato and Egg Tacos) from Kitchen Gidget
- Pasta Carbonara with Shrimp and Leeks from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Poached Eggs over Roasted Asparagus from Monica’s Table
- Potato, Egg and Cheese Scramble from And She Cooks
- Spaghetti with Fried Eggs from The Texan New Yorker
- Steak Benedict from Palatable Pastime
- Steak Omelette from From Gate to Plate
- Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Quiche from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sunny Side Up Burger from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tex-Mex Migas from Caroline’s Cooking
- Toad in the Hole Breakfast Sandwiches from Daily Dish Recipes
- Tomato Asiago Frittata from Books n’ Cooks
- Yemeni Shakshouka (Yemeni Spiced Scrambled Eggs) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Creamy Flan from The Freshman Cook
- Creme Anglaise from The Redhead Baker
- Croquembouche from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Dark Chocolate Mousse from The Chef Next Door
- Orange Coconut Bundt Cake from Desserts Required
- Pavlova with Strawberry Curd from Love and Confections
- Pistachio Chai Baked Alaska from The Crumby Cupcake
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies from Pies and Plots
- Plus Curried Egg Salad on Toasted Naan and More Eggtastic Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement